Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Altering the Future

Well, it's been a while and I've not journaled here one single thing. I have a sneaky feeling that there is a whole lot more thought going on in my head than that which I let out. Oh well.

Been reading Leadership Gold from John Maxwell. Great stuff. It encapsulates all of his thoughts on leadership throughout his life time into one book with great applications around each chapter.

First off, chapter one made it clear to me that I have a responsibilty as a leader to bring others along with me. If I'm climbing a mountain by myself, all I can do at best is tell others of my achievements, but if I bring others along with me, the stories get told in many places and many have an opportunity to learn with me those things that I am coming to understand.

Robert Greenleaf said that "The greatest forsight, the most difficult and most exciting, is the influence one wields on the future by helping the growth of people who will be in commanding positions in the next generation."

He goes on to say that the future can be radically altered by the kinds of people now being prepared for the future. Wow! I can either contribute to the future, or let my life pass before me without any intentiality towards the growth of others. I choose the former.

jp

1 comment:

  1. One post every six months is a good start! :)

    Man, wouldn't you hate to be the guy who climbed Mt. Everest and then just stood around telling everyone else how you did it? I, for one, can't imagine going it alone! It's always better to bring along a friend...

    ReplyDelete

 
provided by votechdirect.com
trade and vocational schools