Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pain and Sacrifice!

While we were gone over the last two weeks in Phoenix we had our 30th anniversary. (Maybe that’s where that last post came from!) I thought I would do something special for Kath on that day so I decided that the best think I could do for her would be to pluck my nose hairs. Oh the pain and sacrifice! I sneeze every time I do this, and then I always give up. But this day, this was the one day when I would suck it up and completely finish the dirty deed.

So I did it.

I was so proud of myself.

We had a great day planned. Some shopping, a really nice lunch planned, and a few other things we had on our list. It would be a great day. So we get in the car and I can’t contain myself anymore for fear that she would not notice my nose. So I said, “You know dear, I pulled all my nose hairs this morning for you so that they were not sticking out.” She looked at me and smiled and said, “Oh, that’s so special sweetheart.” She had that look that suggested to me that she was half smirking and half appreciative of my efforts. It was enough for me to grin and feel good about myself and the huge sacrifice I had made.

I’m sitting in the driver’s seat during this little conversation, waiting to fire up the car and start the day. After my revealing announcement I see she is still smiling and admiring my efforts, and then I see her eyes go from my nose to my right ear and she says, “Dear, you missed the ears.” I laughed. Oh well, I thought to myself, perhaps next year I can take care of that for her.

I’m loosing my hair off the top and it’s all coming out the front and sides! What’s with that!

Sure this all sounds a little silly, but as you grow older with someone, and your love deepens, it’s the little things we do for each other that become more pronounced and appreciated rather than the big gifts I use to round up for her when I was younger. You can actually get points for just doing a simple thing for your wife. Amazing! And I’m sure that if I look around during my day, there are a lot of simple things I can do for her.

I think the simple things we give one another speak of something far deeper than anything large we could ever do. We don’t need to impress each other, but we do need to love, care and respect each other.

We are both content to do the little things for each other now. It feels good.

8 for 27

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
provided by votechdirect.com
trade and vocational schools